Friday, October 24, 2008

it was GREAT.

Computer time's been so hard to come by lately that I feel like you're all getting tardy dispatches from some far-off front. BUT, the best reason not to write is that you're involved in an amazing theatre project! Am I wrong?

The portable platform was only halfway built, and we had only three sort of . . . mini-playlets written, with sketches for a few more, when Perry told us there was a guaranteed audience waiting for us near the encampment. Apparently there was some kind of massive meeting--I'm embarrassed I don't know exactly what it was, but it got most of the folks in the same outdoor area late in the afternoon, and we showed up with our half-assed plan and totally did some theatre.

It was amazing. It took everyone a while to understand what we were doing, or maybe some never really did . . . I mean, if someone showed up in a public place and started monologuing about a group of drones that take over an office building, you'd probably think mental ward before you thought agitprop. But our friend Henry wrote this great piece about being the last office worker in a sea of drones (my favorite part was that still no one would make a new pot of coffee if they emptied the carafe). And Chris and I did a short piece we'd adapted from our experience with James and Michael--with Perry and Veronica's permission, of course. For the most part, the pieces were light hearted, and I think that was a good move. No fear, right now, that no one in the camps is taking the situation seriously. But I do think it'll be helpful, eventually, for us to use the performances as communication and organizing tools.

I'm a little concerned; this thing could take over our lives, and I still have a job and two kids. It already looks like Chris isn't going to be doing many odd jobs to add to our income. Which is okay; so long as he's doing this stuff, he can bring Evan and James along and we don't have to worry about childcare. But I can't lie: it's great to be excited about something creative, no matter how humble. After we finished last night, a small handful of people offered to help out--to jazz up the platform, help set up and take down . . . one guy offered to play guitar, and one had an idea for dynamo-powered lights. aMAZing.

The best part was watching James watch us. Evan doesn't quite get it yet, but James knows his family is doing something awesome. He gave the biggest hug when we got home, even though I was dirty and stinky. I love, love, love it.

No comments: