Saturday, October 18, 2008

aaaa.

Just when so much great stuff was happening, I got sick. Hence, no posts. And now, too much to catch up on.

(Mom, and everyone: stomach flu, not anything respiratory. Definitely not you-know-what.)

On the theatre front: We had a meeting! The best kind of meeting! The kind where people get excited. Chris brought up the living newspapers done by the Federal Theatre Project during the Depression, and everyone started throwing out ideas. We managed to agree that we'd meet once weekly for a potluck supper, and communicate via email the rest of the time. Three of us are investigating topics for scripts, Chris is brainstorming venues, and he and Perry are constructing the moveable stage/platform/thing. And yeah, we roped Veronica and Perry into the group. I think it was nice for them to meet some folks. Veronica was a little shy; she volunteered to watch the kids (five altogether, since everyone brought theirs, eep). I'm determined that that won't fall to her every time, though. We'll take turns.

Speaking of kids . . . I ran into this post of futuryst's, and caught myself thinking about it all day. About James and Evan and how we felt when they were born, and what it's like to watch the news these days, and contemplate the survival horizon. I try not to think about it, since it freezes my heart in terror. Small steps. Everything we can manage. I guess that's why we just went ahead and had a baby eight years ago. Of course, back then things weren't as dire, but there was already reason to worry. And we worried, for sure. But we had James anyway.

It's a selfish thing, in all honesty. I just couldn't imagine a life in which we didn't have a kid. We were just going to have the one--even though I was an only child and kind of thought it sucked. I figured so long as we only had one, we'd still be helping drop the population (2 adults, 1 kid . . .) But then Evan was a surprise, and once it happened I realized how happy I was for the accident. Sigh. We're trying to raise them to be innovators, in hopes that they'll make the world a better place.

Actually, Evan put a bean up his nose today, so far up there that I thought we were going to have to go to the ER. Innovator? Maybe. Maybe he'll be a birthday party clown. God knows.

No comments: